Re: Getting rid of the dot (was: Mentoring)

2013-03-19 13:50:39
At 10:08 AM 3/19/2013, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 08:22:46AM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Haas <jhaas(_at_)pfrc(_dot_)org> writes:
    Jeffrey> Such an exercise would probably generate a lot less
    Jeffrey> controversy than my unsanctioned badge experiment.

    Jeffrey> http://pfrc.org/~jhaas/pictures/badge.jpg

nice.
Instead of getting a new badge every meeting, maybe we should just get
an IETF86 dot on a badge we keep from meeting to meeting.

I didn't realize more people hadn't seen the badge.  Since I've gotten a few
inquiries about it, here's the comments I'd had:

- Some people were upset that I was wearing an unofficial badge.  None of
 these were the people involved in giving them out.  (My official badge was
 in my laptop bag just in case.)

There's a long history of "martian" badges at the IETF.  During the Stanford
IETF many many years ago, there were something like a dozen "Milo Medin" badges
(and I seem to remember at one point Milo was wearing none of them), as well as
badges where the older IETF logo had been replaced with various of the Klingon,
Federation and Romulan symbols from Star Trek.

- The company logo was definitely too big.  I got the badge the morning
 before I headed out for the conference and it was a bit late to ask Chris
 to alter the design the minimize it.  My preference would have been a bigger
 IETF logo and smaller company logo.  (Or "type treatment" as he'll tell
 me.)  Adding text to the blue dot would have been nice but wasn't thought
 about after the fact.
- The biggest concern expressed by those seeing it was that how could one
 tell that I've actually paid for the conference?  As was pointed out by
 multiple parties, a piece of paper isn't exactly good security if we
 actually cared about that. :-)

To the best of my knowledge, Beijing was the only IETF meeting that ever had
anyone checking badges.  And for the most part, the people who attend, pay.
And if they don't (due to say financial reversals) but still contribute, I'm ok
with that.

- Biggest comment from the people dispensing badges was that it's their job
 to give out the dots.  Since the dot, while removable by design, is part
 of the badge this is somewhat problematic.
- Other comments are that the lanyards are far more of a validation that
 you've been to registration than the piece of paper.
- This badge was apparently responsible for eating an hour of discussion
 during an I* telechat. :-)

The badge is acrylic produced on a laser cutter with custom cut-out vinyl.
A big goal of the badge was to have something where the name was
significantly easier to view from a distance.  However, I have a short name.

I had approached some people in ISOC about the possibility of permanent
badges as a fund raiser during the bits and bytes.  I haven't really
followed up on it yet.

-- Jeff