Getting rid of the dot (was: Mentoring)

2013-03-18 17:08:02
Hi Spencer,
At 13:49 18-03-2013, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
There are dots, and then there are dots. The one I'd like to see continued the most is the orange dot, for Nomcom members. We choose the voting members at random out of a volunteer pool, with some qualifications but not a lot, for a specific duration. Perhaps there's value in helping the community identify Nomcom members quickly during breaks, etc.

Did you need to look for the NomCom dot to identify NomCom members? :-)

If the IAOC continues to hold open sessions at future IETF meetings, that's good; if not, perhaps there's value in helping the community identify IAOC members quickly, too.

If the community cannot identify these IAOC members quickly it can only mean that these members are unknown or known to a selected few who have been attending meetings since several years.

attendees lists and meeting wikis, and a larger and more visible secretariat, green dots may have more value as recognition for meeting sponsors (and if giving out green dots matters to people who support the IETF financially, that's certainly sufficient as a reason to keep them!).

Yes.

Just keep thinking carefully, as people are doing, and developing a better understanding about what we are doing and why it might have been our practice in the past ... and whether it's still a good idea now.

Agreed.

Regards,
-sm