Re: Mentoring

2013-03-18 14:21:27
At 06:44 18-03-2013, Carlos M. Martinez wrote:
- I support a newcomers' list. However, I do believe that the definition
of newcomer must be relaxed a bit. A newcomer is not a 'first time
attendee'. Being a IETF youngster I would say that for the first three
meetings you are a newcomer. This may vary, but if I had to draw a line
somewhere, three would be my choice.

I suggest calling the mailing list hallway(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or else use edu-team(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org. I don't see any reason why "new" has to be defined.

- Breakfasts / lunch meetings are great, but they are not enough. These
slots might need some augmentation. I don't have many ideas except
dinners and parallel slots while the WGs sessions are in progress.

I suggest increasing the duration of the breaks. If you formalize a lunch meeting, for example, it will be engineered for perfection. It will end up being uninteresting (see Meet-and-Greet thread).

- However tempting, I don't think ADs  / WG chairs are ideal mentoring
choices. During the IETF week they are drenched in work with their "area
directoring"/ "working group chairing" duties and most of them won't
have a lot of time for meeting newcomers and attending to their needs.

Yes.

- Mentors SHOULD be notified of their duties within reasonable time, and
preferably be introduced to their 'pupils' via private email. I don't
know how hard this would be to implement, but it would definitely help.
Another thing to keep in mind: Do all newcomers want being mentored? I
can think of one or two cases I know personally that probably wouldn't
want a mentor.

Seiichi Kawamura mentioned that it is about peer environment. The idea of mentorship seems to be about having new people listening religiously to old people explaining how things should work. If the IETF thinks that it is a good idea I will opt out as I believe that I will be considering people are inferior if I do that.

- Moving the newcomers reception to later in the week is a MUST. Mentors
should obviously be also invited to this reception.

Murray Kucherawy mentioned that newcomers reception is used to take care of business (the people who regularly attend meetings discuss about IETF work).