RE: Mentoring

2013-03-14 09:55:26

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Yoav Nir
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:30 PM
To: Ted Lemon
Cc: John C Klensin; <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>; IETF-Discussion
list; The
IESG
Subject: Re: Mentoring

On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:03 AM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

I think it might also be worth encouraging working group chairs to
have working group breakfast or lunch meetings (RSVP required) where
newcomers are invited to come meet the chairs and chairs can
strategically invite a few return attendees (but fewer than newcomers so
they don't get crowded out) to establish a connection with the
newcomers.   If this became common it would probably require tool work,
but what do folks think of the idea in principle?

There's over 100 working groups, and about 5 slots, because lunch is
often busy for WG chairs (*DIR this, and tutorial that, and design team
the other). So where would you hold 25 parallel breakfast meetings? How
would we ever manage conflicts?

The return attendees you would want to invite would be the leaders in
your group, no?  I mean the ones who you'd naturally ask to take
minutes, volunteer to edit the new document, etc. They would also tend
to be overbooked for such slots (and often they are WG chairs
themselves).

Hi Yoav,

I believe that you are over-designing :-)

I actually believe that we need to leave these as informal as possible, without
involving tools or booking meeting rooms. At most use wiki for coordination. A
breakfast meeting could just be a meeting around breakfast, in the hotel
restaurant or in the IETF breakfast space. This IETF has the lounge space which
is wonderful (thanks to the organizers!) - this would be ideal and accommodate
10+ such meetings each mornings. Not all WGs will do this, some of the senior
members of the WG will have conflicts but other will be available, and not all
newcomers will be available.

I plan to experiment this at the next IETF meeting with my WG.

Regards,

Dan