Re: Mentoring

2013-03-19 20:24:03
On 3/19/2013 8:01 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:

I think this means we should closely consider the goals of a mentoring effort.
Is it to help them navigate the IETF structure, personalities, and immune
system to get something done? Is it to help them become the next generation of
IETF leaders? I suspect those two goals do not lend themselves to the same
approach.

Yeah, I agree with Ben here.

I'd go further and suggest that helping people get something done is a good thing, and at least some of the people who have gotten something done are more likely to to hang around, but if people want to be part of the next generation of IETF leadership without actually getting something done first, encouraging them may not take the IETF to a happy place.

Spencer