Re: [IETF] Comments for Humorous RFCs or uncategorised RFCs or dated April the first

2013-04-07 13:26:35
On 4/7/2013 8:41 AM, Måns Nilsson wrote:

I do not want code or devices from people that don't "get" it in my
network. The April 1 series are useful documents.

Well said!

i believe that april 1 RFCs server several useful purposes. They remind us to
not take ourselves too seriously. They remind us that the Internet community
has at times a counter-cultural tinge, questioning the common wisdom --
 when the prevailing wisdom was virtual circuits, we chose datagrams,
for example. April 1 RFCs remind us that it is a mistake to completely legislate
the rules of organization of the IETF; we need room for permitting well-
grounded exceptions, thereby fostering growth and innovation
.
April 1 RFCs originated in the subtle wit of Jon Postel, and Jon believed
that April 1 RFCs should be outside the process -- they should  just appear
mysteriously every April 1, without last calls,  IESG actions, etc. (Similar
magic happens with the assignment of RFC numbers, by the way.
When questioned how it happened that the update to RFC 822 got
the number 2822, Jon would say "just a coincidence".)

I must confess to falling for 6919, but I think this simply reflected
 my dismay over today's  waste of time and effor perfecting
IETF process rules. At first glance, I thought that
6919 was simply the next step down into the pit of fruitless
Bickering that is the IETF mailing list these days.  More attention
to the very real problems of the Internet would seem to be in
order. I was much heartened to realize that 6919 was a joke,
and that publication of that April 1 RFC demonstrated some
community consensus that things are getting out of hand.

Bob Braden