Re: [IETF] Comments for Humorous RFCs or uncategorised RFCs or dated April the first

2013-04-07 19:53:46

On 07/04/2013, at 9:59 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir(_at_)checkpoint(_dot_)com> wrote:

I mostly share the sentiment that this is just humor, so what's the harm.

That said, I did at one point have to exercise my diplomatic skills when I
got forwarded a customer (nameless here for evermore) question about whether
support for RFC 3514 was on our roadmap.

While the people on this list generally "get" the joke, not all readers of
RFCs are part of this group. The recent RFC 6919 is full of in-jokes (or
perhaps, in-roast?) that many outside the IETF will not get. Anyways, it is
an issue, but I think these are too much fun to do away with them.

Indeed.

The April 1 RFCs do a great job reminding readers that the authority of an RFC,
on its own, approaches zero. OTOH, it should also be a bit of a wake-up call to
folks here that people so often confuse "RFC" with "authoritative statement of
the IETF."

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/