Re: The Purpose of WG participants Review (was Re: Purpose of IESG Review)

2013-04-13 01:37:47
Hi Arturo, and all,
(sorry that this message is long but I want to make this my last post
on the subject)

The reason of this message/subject is that I want to avoid some group
working together to achieve their purpose (while they may be fogetting
the IETF purpose) within a WG. If I am a company and interested to
publish a standard in IETF, I may think to find interest in my market
place (i.e. interest usually in my local country or city which depends
on relations), when that is gained then the purpose is to publish it
in IETF while there already gauranteed sort of back up in that
country/city. I name that a *group purpose* not the *WG purpose*.
Group purpose is good but may lack technical experience, which needs
following WG purpose.

Any group (usually authors+ WhoInterestedToPublish) needs to convence
the WG by technical discussions. Consensus and running code, may work
for the group purpose more than the WG purpose if the WG are not
reactive to inputs. I recommend that WG chairs are already aware of
this and try to find independent reviewers from the WG to put some
effort before it is submitted to the IESG. Usually WG participants are
bussy and may not be interested to argue with a group (one reviewer
may get many replies with arguments that he/she has no much time to
DISCUSS, or reply).

 That is why the IESG's DISCUSS position is strong and important to
make the group answer to purpose, and that position is weak in WGs.
Groups always don't like delays in process, but WGs don't like
changing their IETF purpose or their IETF vision. I recommend that WG
chairs try to do their best to have two independent WG participants to
review (not authors and not from the same company of authors or same
state/city).

If you send me a reply I will reply privately so I don't disturb,
because the subject may not be important for others, thanking you,

AB

We need diversity :-)