Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-29 14:04:55
At 01:34 AM 4/29/2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 4/28/2013 9:05 PM, Michael StJohns wrote:
Let's consider for a moment that this may not actually be the correct
question.  Instead, consider "Why the diversity of the IETF leadership
doesn't reflect the diversity of the set of the IETF WG chairs"?  I believe
this is a more representative candidate population for the IAB and IESG.

Except that the IESG members select the wg chairs, which makes your baseline
stastistic suspect; it's too easy for all sorts of biasing factors to sway the
allocation of wg chair positions.

A couple of points:

Actually, I don't think this is even a mostly correct statement - that AD
select chairs.  I believe that most chairs are self-selected [e.g. hey AD, I
want to run a BOF on this topic with the idea of forming a working group -
here's the other person who might chair, what do you think?  Sure - go ahead,
we may twiddle with things a bit at charter formation, but you look like you
know what you're doing].  With one exception (where I was asked to chair an
evaluation panel), that's been my experience.

Would you have evidence to the contrary?

Second point:

You ignored most of the post and went directly to my last question - 'If there
is no statistical difference between the IAB/IESG and the WG chair set, should
we then consider the relationship between the IETF attending constituency and
the WG chair set?"    Say the average meeting had 1500 attendees.  7.4% would
suggest that there are 111 female attendees.  If the actual number is higher or
lower it MAY represent a  statistically significant difference in the
composition of the two groups.  Or it may not.   And even then, may only have a
very indirect impact in the composition of the IAB/IESG.  Care to do the
analysis?

Later, Mike

d/

--