Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-29 04:15:47
On 29/04/2013 06:57, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 4/28/2013 10:52 PM, Christian Huitema wrote:
Except that the IESG members select the wg chairs, which makes your
baseline stastistic suspect; it's too easy for all sorts of biasing
factors to sway the allocation of wg chair positions.

Mike actually mentioned that. Let's assume a simplified curriculum of
participant -> author/editor -> WG chair -> IESG, which more or less
reflects increasing seniority in the IETF. We may suspect that there
is bias that, at each step, privileges some candidates over others.
However, the mechanisms are different at each step.

Exactly. Complicated processes, needing high quality data that gets complicated analysis, that we aren't well-enough trained to do well and aren't going to be doing.

Dave

Of all the social mixes you would anticipate the IETF to be in the likely to do it, likely to do it correctly quadrant.

Stewart