Re: [spfbis] [dnsext] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE

2013-05-02 05:54:10
Subject: Re: [spfbis] [dnsext] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE Date: Thu, May 02, 2013 at
11:20:22AM +0200 Quoting Alessandro Vesely (vesely(_at_)tana(_dot_)it):

What percentage of NS servers use dynamic updates primarily?  (I only
happened to use nsupdate occasionally, e.g. to fix dhcp hiccups.)

Every Active Directory installation is using dynamic DNS. And while the
unwillingness of that particular vendor to handle unknown RRtypes or add
specific support for SPF is a baffling mystery to the rest of the world,
they can and do change -- they have a prototype DNSSEC implementation
in recent versions complete with a large bunch of new RRtypes.

Switching to fully dynamic management would be a major evolutionary
step for DNS, and it will certainly make the arguments for strong DNS
typing more stringent.

Since year 2000 and the initial release of Active Directory that has
as a matter of fact happened. The typing argument has always been valid
from a design perspective; now there is an operational requirement.

/Måns, whose $dayjob includes running AD DNS, but using BIND and Unbound.
--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668