A note about draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis (was: [spfbis] [dnsext] Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE)

2013-05-02 11:05:31
Hi Alessandro, Doug,

My task is to keep draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis moving forward and to maintains a critical and technical perspective of the draft. The two weeks Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-14 was announced on April 9, 2013 [1]. The document shepherd review was posted to the SPFBIS mailing list on April 23 [2].

I wasn't sure about some text in Section 5 of the draft. I posted a question to the 6MAN mailing list [3]. I posted another question about the DNS Parameters registry to the DNSEXT mailing list [4]. The replies to that question generated about 200 messages on the DNSEXT and SPFBIS mailing lists. I read all these messages while following up on the document shepherd review. In my individual opinion there was a concern about "Obsoleting SPF RRTYPE". A message [5] about the topic was posted to the ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing list on April 29 while the topic was being discussed on the SPFBIS mailing list. There was a message about shutting down the thread on the SPFBIS mailing list. I humbly suggested [6] leaving the matter to the SPFBIS WG Chairs. I discussed the matter with Andrew Sullivan on April 30. A message [7] was posted to the SPFBIS mailing list after that.

I read the message posted by Doug Barton about an IETF Last Call objection [8]. I'll comment about the path of the draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis. There are issues which were raised during the Working Group Last Call. There are also three directorate/team reviews. If the issues and reviews are addressed there will be a publication request for draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis. The Responsible Area Director will likely review the draft. If that step is cleared there will be a Last Call announcement for draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis. If anyone has any objection I suggest raising it during the Last Call.

If you have any questions about the above please let me know so that we can talk about it.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg03347.html
2. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/spfbis/current/msg03414.html