Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

2013-05-03 16:39:51
I would like to suggest that the IESG Review be done in public on the WG
mailing list.    I've been a WG co-chair for just over a year now, and
I'm truly astounded by what happens behind the scenes.

It's not the substance, it's the quantity, and the lack of WG view of
it.   I think that this substantially and quite negatively contributes
to the "fix it during IESG review", and therefore to the IESG workload.

Pete and I suggested this to the App chairs in Orlando (see here:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/86/slides/slides-86-appsawg-4.pdf ),
and we are currently trying it out with draft-ietf-core-coap, which is
scheduled for the 16 May IESG telechat (see
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-coap/ and note that
I've set the "Send notices to" field to include the working group
mailing list).

It appears to be working very well, and I'd like to try it on more
documents in more working groups.  Perhaps some day it will be the
normal way to operate; we'll have to see.

Barry, Applications AD