Re: article on innovation and open standards

2013-05-14 15:38:31
From: Jari Arkko <jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net>

Just FYI that I wrote another article, this time on "permissionless
innovation" and the role of open standards.

A nice summary!

    No permit had to be applied [for], no new network had to be built,
    and no commercial negotiation with other parties was needed when
    Facebook started, for instance.

And one consequence is, "No incumbent could value-price its services
so as to extract the added value created by Facebook."  But I don't
think that would be very popular at the ITU!

The critical difference is that the IETF is an organization of
*buyers* rather than an organization of *sellers*.

Dale