Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

2013-05-15 20:08:19
I initially replied to address Keith's comment. But a few things on Joe's:

On 5/15/13 7:41 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On 05/15/2013 10:39 AM, Joe Touch wrote:
On 5/14/2013 9:54 PM, Keith Moore wrote:
Publishing broken or unclear documents is not progress.

Broken, agreed.

Unclear, nope - please review the NON-DISCUSS criteria, notably:

The motivation for a particular feature of a protocol is not clear enough. At the IESG review stage, protocols should not be blocked because they provide capabilities beyond what seems necessary to acquit their responsibilities.

The DISCUSS isn't there to make documents "better" - that's for COMMENTs.

Exactly right. Sometimes we forget; it's a good thing to remind us.

A DISCUSS there to catch a set of problems and to *block* the document's progress until that problem is resolved.

Mostly correct. However:

- If there is only one AD who wishes to DISCUSS and no other AD agrees with the DISCUSS holder, at the next telechat the document is unblocked. (See <http://www.ietf.org/iesg/voting-procedures.html>.) - Even if others agree with the DISCUSS, the chair can be asked to use the alternate procedure, which requires 2/3 of non-recused ADs to agree to publication.

Which is to say, if there is only a single AD "blocking" a document, that block is essentially a 2 week affair if you are willing to push the point. No need for negotiating; if the WG decides that the AD is totally off base, tell your sponsoring AD that you're waiting the two weeks. People (unfortunately IMO) don't push the point nearly enough.

(For the record, the IESG has *never* used the latter of the two procedures.)

That said, I am also of the view that there is a third way, but I have never seen a WG attempt it:

DISCUSS should in fact require discussing. Assuming there was some good faith effort on the part of the WG to figure out what the AD was on about and they really assess that the AD has it wrong, a WG could say, "Sorry, we got this right. You are confused (or wrong). We are not changing the document. We are done discussing." At that point, I am of the opinion that the AD cannot hold the DISCUSS any longer. The AD must move to ABSTAIN. The discussion is, for all intents and purposes, over and to continue to DISCUSS is (IMO) an appealable offense. Then it is a matter of the IESG deciding whether there are enough ADs supporting the document (YES or NO OBJECTION) to count as consensus of the IESG. We ostensibly use 2/3 of non-recused ADs to mean "consensus", since (I think the theory goes) if you can't get 2/3 of ADs to agree that it's OK to publish a document, that is a sign of a lack of rough consensus in the IETF (and probably a serious problem in WG operation). Indeed, if the ADs are so off of their rockers that more than 1/3 of them are against a perfectly reasonable document, it's time for the appeals and recall procedures to be used.

(This is, BTW, where I disagree with Dave Crocker: Yes, a DISCUSS can be used as an exercise in authority, but only if it is allowed to be an "assertion that changes are being required". If the rest of the IETF started saying, "Sorry, no change is going to be made" instead of making changes simply to satisfy the AD, we'd actually be better off and the DISCUSS would stop being seen -- and used -- as authoritative.)

Finally, do keep in mind that, although there have been times where the numbers have been much different, currently there are 16 documents with outstanding DISCUSSes (and I think the total number has been pretty stable for a while), and 7 of those are on tomorrow's telechat and therefore should hopefully be cleared within a few days of when the document could most quickly have been approved anyway. So I'm not sure (and we should look at the statistics) how much of a problem this is for most documents we are producing.

Now, as to Keith's comments:

I strongly disagree with what the NON-DISCUSS criteria say. DISCUSS isn't just for blocking documents. And document quality is as important (in the sense that poor document quality can lead to as many interoperability or other problems) as technical correctness.

Why are people trying to sabotage IESG?

I'm sorry Keith, but your last line is rubbish. To claim that what people in this thread are talking about amounts to an attempt to sabotage the IESG is the height of hubris. In my opinion, the IESG has 2 jobs as far as document review goes: (1) Check for serious technical problems that the WG might not have considered and make sure they get considered; and (2) Make sure that our processes have been followed to assure that the WG products are truly the product of (IETF-wide) consensus and fit within the policies of the IETF. I am *positive* that I have failed to limit my DISCUSSes on documents to one of those two reasons; I expect I will err and do so in the future. I should be corrected. We reject kings, and should.

As for the rest: The IESG should be looking for technical correctness problems and identify those that do not appear to have been properly considered by the WG, but trying to police document quality beyond that, including all of those listed in the NON-DISCUSS criteria, really are out of bounds for the IESG to be concerning themselves with. Sure, there are issues of clarity that can result in interoperability problems, but every one of those I have seen is because the words written can be read in a technically incorrect way. My take is you are solidly in the rough on the question of the DISCUSS/NON-DISCUSS criteria.

Our documents are never going to be perfect and attempts to make them so actually lessen the quality of our output over the long term.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478