Re: Weekly posting summary for ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

2013-06-21 10:54:07
These are valid points. For a long time, I used a public forum support reporter for our support process which categorized daily and hourly messaging patterns, hottest threads and topics and reply efficiency concepts. Basically to see how many messages were replied to in general and how many were replied by the "technical support staff" (measured against a list of certain responders) and how many were missed (ignored) which you strived to minimized. In the past, I considered using this reporter here just to see, but it already had a posting summary and it would be viewed more as an redundant annoyance. Plus, I certainly do no want to step on anyone "shoes."

In my view, it offers little other than as other stated to mind your number of post, but clearly that doesn't apply to all folks. If you have something to say, this is not going to deter you. Others may feel otherwise, but these folks don't care what you think and rightly so.

Based on what I see, most messages are during weekdays and during the day, normal working hours I suppose. It does cut down by the weekend. While there is a high ignorance factor at the particular individual level, most messages have a high reply factor. IOW, most messages are not ignored. Of course, that may just mean when a message is not interesting, it gets ignored. There is also a "Shutdown" factor too - when a certain individual post, people tend to stop posting. But I think overall, the "SUPPORT" factor per se is pretty good here and in the most IETF forums I've participating in. However, it does depend on who is doing the postings and this fact shouldn't be a surprise.

--
HLS