Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 13:48:06

Scott Brim <scott(_dot_)brim(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > Because of that, weakening requirements for NomCom participation
    > greatly increases the probability that our culture will fracture, and
    > our mission statement lose meaning, before we have a chance to agree
    > on what they should become.  I supported the proposal to require a few
    > old-timers on every NomCom a few years ago.  I'm quite against the
    > idea of lowering requirements now.  I would only entrust the future of
    > the IETF to those who have enough experience and hard-earned wisdom to
    > make the difficult decisions that are required.  Those who participate
    > in the process but are not really deep in the culture are already
    > well-represented through the vehicles for contributing to the NomCom
    > process.

Just as long as you understand that you are influencing the diversity of the
nomcom itself.

The people involved will be older, work for bigger companies, and have a
tendancy to be white, north american, male, and not have small
children (or rather, not have made the choice to stay home with child).

Since people tend to pick people who look like them, that means that nomcom
will pick people who are less diverse.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [