Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 20:15:37
On Thursday, June 27, 2013, Scott Brim wrote:

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca<javascript:;>>
wrote:
Just as long as you understand that you are influencing the diversity of
the nomcom itself.

Yes, we need to cultivate more talent and more viewpoints while
simultaneously using hard-earned wisdom and encouraging growth of that
wisdom in the less experienced.  I'm looking for the proposal from a
few years ago for a balance like that in the NomCom, but haven't found
it yet.

Here it is: http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-crocker-nomcom-process-00.txt

I was particularly thinking of section 3, but reading it all might be worth
your while.

Yes we need to cultivate new leadership but that must not override the more
important need for experience and wisdom in the vital functions of the
IETF.  Finding that balance is not a new concern, anywhere in the IETF --
25 years ago I was told that the best working groups have "six young turks
and six old farts".

John Klensin pointed out that there are other problems with the current
NomCom selection rules.  True.  I'm not defending the current rules, just
the principle of what the NomCom should be able to represent.  I have no
issues with changes to the NomCom process as long as they make the NomCom
better at what it is supposed to do.

Cheers ... Scott