Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 17:14:13
On 06/27/2013 02:50 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:
Hello,

RFC 3777 specifies the process by which members of the Internet
Architecture Board, Internet Engineering Steering Group and IETF
Administrative Oversight Committee are selected, confirmed, and recalled.

draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility proposes an update RFC 3777 to allow
remote contributors to the IETF Standards Process to be eligible to
serve on NomCom and sign a Recall petition (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moonesamy-nomcom-eligibility-00 ).

Could you please read the draft and comment?

FWIW, all opinions my own, etc. :)

I have attended several meetings in person, and several remotely. Unfortunately I do not support the concept of allowing remote attendance to qualify a person for Nomcom.

As others have pointed out, the acculturation that happens during in person attendance is a significant part of this issue. Included in that is the chance to have at least some exposure to potential candidates as people outside of what is seen in e-mail and on line during meetings. Those who participate remotely don't have that opportunity, and IMO the Nomcom would be the poorer because of that.

I am definitely sympathetic to the argument that meeting attendance places a high burden on the participants, and being able to attend enough meetings to become Nomcom eligible is a substantial investment. However I don't see a practical way to change that without a significant changes in IETF structure. (Arguably such changes may be desirable, but it would have to come wholesale, not piecemeal.)

Doug