Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

2013-06-27 08:19:47

I have not read the thread yet, on purpose.
As a person who has done significant remote participation myself, and has also
observed the difficulty new people have in understanding how things fit
together, I can not support your specific proposal, but I support the idea.

I would suggest:

2.  Updated Text from RFC 3777

   RFC 3777 [RFC3777], Section 5, "Nominating Committee Operation",
   Paragraph 1 of Rule 14, is replaced as follows:

      Members of the IETF community become eligible for the NomCom by
      having attended at least 3 of the last 7 IETF meetings in person.

      Once a person has become eligible for NomCom, they retain their
      elibility to NomCom by attending at least 1 of the last 4 IETF meetings
      in person, and at least 3 of the last 5 meetings in person or remotely.

      Should a person lose eligibility for NomCom, they return to not-eligible.

(We could, true to form, describe this as a state machine with three states,
or even a simpler to write in Verilog one with 7-8 states)
===

I have raised the bar slightly over your requirements in the form of still
requiring 3 meetings to be attended, but lengthening the time to 7 meetings,
such that a person who attends one meeting/year, if they do it right, can
become eligible easily.  I feel perhaps that in the becoming eligible
process, that some of the 4 meetings not-attended should be clearly attended
remotely, but I'm sure how to specify that.

I have lowered the bar to remain eligible such that a person who not travel
for 12 months (such as someone on maternity/paternity leave. Civilized
countries get at least 1 year..) could remain eligible.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works