Re: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-11 09:36:31

On 07/11/2013 03:22 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:

In iCalendar (RFC5545) we have properties to represent the organizer and
attendee of meetings. A parameter (attribute) of those properties is
"CN" - defined to be the "common name" of the corresponding calendar
user. Obviously that is a single string and typically the concatenation
of first name/last name. But that of course is a very "Western" approach.

I have had several people request that iCalendar instead define new
parameters for "FIRST-NAME" and "LAST-NAME". That then gives clients the
option of re-ordering those for display purposes based on user locales
and preferences.

I guess that's inherited from X.500 via ldap. But CN is just one X.500
name attribute and there were others for firstname, lastname etc. (So
it wasn't at all a 'western' approach, at least if you go by mid-1980's
standards;-) Anyway, no harm adding those to iCalendar or whatever, but
be good to try be compatible(ish) with ldap and the ever-creaky X.500;-)

There's some stuff in rfc5280 related to that but I'd have to go
looking to see what'd be the best thing to which to refer.

I'd expect the scim WG to also have (maybe) other options that you
could build from too. Not sure of details there.

S.