Re: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-11 09:38:07
Hi Simon,

--On July 11, 2013 at 4:28:05 PM +0200 Simon Perreault <simon(_dot_)perreault(_at_)viagenie(_dot_)ca> wrote:

So, from a technical standpoint, it seems better to always represent
user names using components (last, first, middle)? vCard does have an
"N" property where individual components of a name can be broken out.

I'm nowhere near an expert on this topic, but I distinctly remember
during the vCard 4 effort some participants saying that some cultures
just don't separate names into parts. In those cultures, you would just
have *a name*. Like an opaque, atomic blob I guess.

True. And in the iCalendar world attendees can also be non-human entities like rooms or resources, which typically do not have separate components for their names (e.g., "Conference Room 1", "HD Projector", etc). But that case can be handled by simply specifying the full name in the "LAST-NAME" field and leave the others blank.

--
Cyrus Daboo