RE: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-26 02:05:28
Hui,

I bet you are wrong this time. :-)

George, Wes should be Mr. Wesley GEORGE of Time Warner Cable.

Best Regards,
Leaf

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hui
Deng
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2013 8:36 AM
To: George, Wes
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Regarding call Chinese names

I guess that George is your given name. Wes is your family name. Hope I am
not wrong.:)

-Hui

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Melinda Shore

I agree
that this is probably not appropriate for publication as an RFC
but it would certainly be useful to find someplace for it in the
wiki.  The chairs wiki might be an option but I think it's of
broader interest and use.

Melinda
[WEG] I think writing language documentation isn't really a good use of IETF
resources, even at an individual level, because neither the problem nor the
knowledge necessary to address it is specific to the IETF, nor is the
problem limited to Mandarin participants. As others have noted, this is just
one of many languages represented by IETFers that we'd have to treat
similarly.
Further, an I-D is not a particularly useful format in which to present the
info. Raw text in the form of "$phoneme as in $English_word" may not always
be helpful, especially to nonnative English speakers who now have to work
through two layers of pronunciation.  Being able to click on a button to
hear sample pronunciations, especially in the case of words where tones
matter, is very helpful.

So if pronunciation guides end up in the Wiki or the Tao or some other yet
to be written Diversity and Cultural guide hosted within IETF, I think it's
more useful to simply reference things already extant instead of generating
our own. Those representing the language in question could certainly help us
to source and vet the information, but that's much quicker and more
efficient than writing it themselves.
Protocol reuse, hurray! :-)
e.g.
http://mandarin.about.com/od/pronunciation/a/How-To-Pronounce-Mandarin-Chine
se.htm
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Pronunciation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_phonology

To be clear, I'm not saying that this doesn't expose a real problem, and the
draft certainly drew attention to it, but I also don't think that more
documentation will solve it, especially since the information is already
readily available in more accessible formats. I think what you'll find is
that there are two types of folks (in IETF and generally) - those who see an
attempt at proper pronunciation and cultural awareness as important and
worth making extra effort to learn proactively, and those who believe that
if it's an issue, the person on the receiving end will correct them when
they get it wrong (and hopefully not repeat the mistake).
Not making a value judgment on either, merely an observation.

Thanks
Wes George

PS: guess which one is my given name and which my surname? Even native
English speakers aren't immune from name confusion. :-)

Anything below this line has been added by my company's mail server, I have
no control over it.

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this
E-mail and any printout.