RE: Regarding call Chinese names

2013-07-11 05:25:53
On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, Zhongxin (Victor) wrote:

BRAVO, techies not speaking Chinese would no longer mispronounce “Huawei” as the name of some U.S state.

I have asked Huawei staff how it's pronounced and I think I get it fairly right. People who hasn't, might get confused because when I use that pronounciation it's not the prevelant pronounciation. About your example, there are plenty of places in the US with french origins, and in US english, these are pronounced differently than in french. What's correct? Perhaps if Huawei would call itself Whow-wei in latin characters more people would get it right, if this is a really sensitive issue.

Linux has similar issue, Linus Torvalds native language is swedish, but he's also a native finnish speaker:

<http://danielmiessler.com/blog/dont-ever-argue-again-about-the-pronunciation-of-linux>

How many english speakers pronounce Linux correctly? Linus' first name? In what language? Do native chinese get it right? Is it really worth spending time debating it? My name is pronounced differently in english and in swedish, just like Linus' name is. I don't get upset when people get it "wrong". Btw, it's pronounced Mii-ka-el in swedish (where the ii is a long version of the initial sound in "industry").

So while I read with interest the documents presented in the original post in this thread, I don't expect to understand and remember all of what's in them.

Are these documents intended to be published as informational RFCs (it says "intended status: informational")? Are we intending to have one for each 'major' language in the world? Where is the cutoff for 'major' status of a language?

Should the IETF really publish documents about human languages that doesn't really have anything to do with Internet Engineering?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se