Re: Community Feedback: IETF Trust Agreement Issues

2013-08-09 14:36:34
Verbatim translation, as I understand from what I hear from my wife (who
works as a professional translator) is where you don't introduce any
semantic changes whatsoever within the reasonable limitations imposed by
the need of mapping between the different languages you're working with.
When translating between European languages this is relatively easy. When
you bring Chinese, Japanese and other Asian languages into the picture, it
gets more complicated.

I think it all boils down to the 'reasonable limitations'. If you give
wings to your poetic flare,  you might get into trouble. If you stick to
the original text, you'll be fine.

This distinction makes more sense when discussing non-technical
translations. In our field, well, there is not a lot of room for poetic
flare.

Cheers!

~Carlos