Re: Radical Solution for remote participants

2013-08-16 08:51:44
I agree with Hadriel (probably because we attend a lot of the same WGs)
that remote participants are not actively  ignored.

The problem is that, with the time lag, and the need to type in your
comments in quickly, then relay them through the jabber scribe
A- the discussion has often moved on before your comment gets to the mic
B - your comment is necessarily short and, hopefully, to the point.  But
if the audience doesn't "get" the point and misinterprets your comment,
you really don't get an opportunity to clarify.
C- you can't participate in a back and forth "conversation"

Of the remedies listed, only

audio input - the ability for remote participants to speak using
their own voice, when it's their turn at the 'mic'.
addresses that.

(When I drag myself  out of bed at 2:30 AM for a remote meeting, even if I
have changed into clothes, I don't think I want
video input, where remote participants can be seen
as well as heard. )

Janet