Re: [spfbis] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1) to Proposed Standard

2013-08-19 15:00:22
* The charter disallows major protocol changes -- removing the SPF RR type
is a direct charter violation; since SPF is being used on the Internet. ...

The SPF working group discussed this issue at painful, extensive length.

As you saw when you read the WG archives, there is a significant interop bug in rfc 4408 in the handling of SPF and TXT records, which (again after painful and extension discussion) we decided the least bad fix was to get rid of SPF records. I don't see anything in your note about how else you think we should address the interop bug.

In your case it doesn't matter, since your TXT and SPF records make no usable assertions, but a lot of people use SPF right now as part of their mail stream management.

R's,
John