Re: Last Call: <draft-resnick-retire-std1-00.txt> (Retirement of the "Internet Official Protocol Standards" Summary Document) to Best Current Practice

2013-09-03 09:33:08
the quoted text came from RFC 1602 and is descriptive not proscriptive
removing a description of a process that is no longer followed makes
sense to me but might not warrant a RFC to do

but the 3rd paragraph in section 6.1.3 says:
   The RFC Editor shall publish periodically an "Internet Official
   Protocol Standards" RFC [1], summarizing the status of all Internet
   protocol and service specifications.

is a process requirement -
this requirement is the specific text that should be removed
and is worth spinning a RFC to do

and while you are at it - maybe you should remove the 2nd
paragraph in the same section
   An official summary of standards actions completed and pending shall
   appear in each issue of the Internet Society's newsletter.  This
   shall constitute the "publication of record" for Internet standards
   actions.

should also be removed since that is not being done either
and it is not good to say we have a publication of record that
does not actually exist

Scott

Scott O Bradner
Senior Technology Consultant

Harvard University Information Technology
Innovation & Architecture
(P) +1 (617) 495 3864
1033 Mass Ave, room 462
Cambridge, MA 02138

On Sep 3, 2013, at 10:16 AM, The IESG <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>