Re: draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

2013-09-03 09:44:21
On 9/3/2013 9:26 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

S Moonesamy <sm+ietf(_at_)elandsys(_dot_)com> wrote:
The new text is as follows: Participants, particularly those with English as a first language, attempt to accommodate the needs of other participants by communicating clearly. Participants try to accommodate each other.
Except for the part between the commas it's great. As written, it presumes that
a mis-communication between a native speaker of English and someone who isn't
is the fault of the native speaker.  I don't think this is appropriate.

Hi, Scott,

Keeping in mind that we wouldn't be looking at this text in the first place, if it was easy to communicate ... ;-)

What I thought the parenthetical presumed, was that a native English speaker(*) might have more tools to use in helping repair mis-communication - for example, a native English speaker might have a larger vocabulary, if paraphrasing would help understanding, and might be more likely to use obscure English idioms(**) that don't translate easily into other languages and cultures. So, not that mis-communication is the native English speaker's fault, but that the native English speaker might be better positioned to make the first move to improve communication.

Spencer

(*) Obviously there are people, including people at the IETF, who learned English as a second (or third, or ...) language and now have better English communication skills than I do, so "native English speaker/English as a first language" might benefit from rephrasing, if the thought survives.

(**) My Chinese co-workers can conjure up 5000 years of rich idioms, and I enjoy hearing them, but they don't seem to translate them into English and insert them into conversations nearly as often as I insert idioms into conversations ...