Re: draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

2013-09-01 01:16:12
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 22:51:48 S Moonesamy wrote:
Hi William,

At 21:41 31-08-2013, William McCall wrote:
Just one point that irks me a bit about this draft... this draft
would imply the violation of the code upon those who do (however
inadvertently) are 1) Native English speakers and 2) use slang of
some nature (which is quite arbitrary). I'd ask for the original
phrasing to be more or less preserved (I see a few wording changes
worthwhile) to avoid the implied absurdity.

The application of Lars' comment would potentially provide for
penalty here, so I think it is worthwhile to fight this point now.

The original phrasing is as follows:

   "English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
    native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
    speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
    the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all
    listeners."

The draft reuses the text.  That text could be rewritten as:

    English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
    native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
    participants attempt to accommodate the needs of other
    participants by communicating clearly.

That does seem better, but don't all parties have an obligation to attempt to
communicate clearly?

Scott K