Re: draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

2013-09-03 22:05:52
On 9/3/13 6:58 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
I agree that trying to figure things out is a net positive.  What I want to
avoid is someone making excuses claiming that since they aren't a native
speaker it's somebody else's problem to understand them.

I'd like to think that we're going to retain at least some small
vestige of common sense in the future (although it's looking
questionable).  I suppose one could argue the reverse, that by
failing to include this as a guideline we may be empowering
native English speakers to complain that non-native English
speakers are not making a good faith effort to understand
something.  But hey, let's be sensible, right?

In maritime navigation and other sets of "rules of
the road," it's generally the case that the vessels or vehicles or
skiers or whomever that are faster more maneuverable are responsible
for avoiding collisions with those who are less maneuverable.  I
think this is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Melinda