Re: draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis

2013-09-03 15:17:23
That does seem better, but don't all parties have an obligation to attempt
to communicate clearly?

The new text is as follows:

  Participants, particularly those with English as a first language, attempt
  to accommodate the needs of other participants by communicating clearly.

Participants try to accommodate each other.

I agree with Scott that the stuff between the commas doesn't belong here.

That is, it doesn't belong *here*; it can certainly go into a sentence
or paragraph with advice for native English speakers.  Consider
something like this instead:

   Participants must do their best to accommodate the needs of other
   participants by communicating clearly.  When faced with English that
   is difficult to understand, we must all make the effort to understand it
   nonetheless, engaging in conversation to clarify what was meant.
   Native English speakers, in particular, should be careful with the use
   of slang and cultural references that might not be well known to everyone.

That might not be exactly right; please try to understand me, and
tweak as necessary.

:-)

Barry