Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

2013-09-06 11:49:40
On 06.09.2013 18:53, SM wrote:
At 06:04 06-09-2013, Martin Sustrik wrote:
So, what if an NSA guys comes in and proposes backdoor to be added to
a protocol? Is it even a valid interest? Does IETF as an organisation
have anything to say about that or does it remain strictly neutral?

Would anyone notice it on a Last Call?  Would anyone say something about
it?  I doubt that.  Ted Lemon said it nicely: "we should pay attention".

You will have to interpret what a backdoor in a protocol would be.
I guess that would be a weaker security feature, delaying work or
starting some other work that plays in their favor.

That would, however, be a bit tricky.

In some sense this is not really needed by them since we have lots of companies who already argue for weaker security properties, for a variety of different reasons.