Re: [IETF] Re: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

2013-10-21 10:40:48

On Oct 21, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Scott Brim <scott(_dot_)brim(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

While I'm completely in favor of the goals, I don't like this sentence:
"Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply
immediately." The problem is that this sentence assumes a clear agreed-on
definition of harassment, while it should be based on subjective experience.
If I say "Randy, that's harassment and I want you to stop," he may respond
"No it isn't."  I propose something like: "Participants asked to stop a
behavior that is being experienced as harassment are expected to comply
immediately."

Issue:  "I find all emails containing the word "comply" to be harassing[0], and
I'd like you to stop"

Now what do you do?

[0]:
Mr Smoke-Too-Much: Yes, that's right. It's all due to a trauma I suffered when
I was a sbool boy. I was attacked by a bat.
Bounder: A cat?
Mr Smoke-Too-Much: No, a bat.

Scott

--
"I think perhaps the most important problem is that we are trying to understand
the fundamental workings of the universe via a language devised for telling one