Re: Sergeant at arms: please deal with mars(_dot_)techno(_dot_)cat(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

2013-10-25 22:21:08
On 10/25/13 6:52 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
On Oct 23, 2013, at 10:43 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:
the chilling effect of vigilateism is far worse than spam or trolls.
we've been dealing with the latter for decades, and there is little
actual real harm if any.  the chilling effect of vigilanteism causes
actual harm and reduces the rich diversity of opinion, culture, and
viewpoint.
Amen

I think John's point - that this wasn't vigilantism, it was the
agreed-upon process - is not a minor one.  I think that the lack
of clarity around Jordi's reasons for booting someone call
that into question, but we've got a process for dealing with
posters who are disruptive and not much more and that process
was invoked.

I'm still bothered by the possibility that our Sergeant-at-
Arms booted someone off the list because of his personal antipathy
towards anonymity, and I hope this is being dealt with by somebody,
somewhere.

Melinda