custom byte ranges, was: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-24

2013-10-29 10:03:55
On 2013-10-29 09:13, S Moonesamy wrote:
In Section 2.2:

   "Range units are intended to be extensible."

Section 3.12 of RFC 2616 states that:

   "The only range unit defined by HTTP/1.1 is "bytes".  HTTP/1.1
    implementations MAY ignore ranges specified using other units.
    HTTP/1.1 has been designed to allow implementations of applications
    that do not depend on knowledge of ranges."

I consider the creation of the registry as "it does not cost anything to
add one more registry".  The text from RFC 2616 suggests that the only
unit specified is "bytes" and that HTTP/1.1 does not depend upon the
knowledge of this optional feature.  I don't see any reason to have
other range units.

Actually, it was a case of "this is used in the wild already, and more use is coming up, so better document it properly and add the registry". See <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/85> for the history.

Best regards, Julian