Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-05 20:43:30
On 11/5/2013 9:00 PM, Joe Abley wrote:

On 2013-11-05, at 17:35, David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> wrote:

I don't see reason to use https for delivery of public documents such
as RFCs and Internet Drafts. All that would really accomplish is
reduce caching opportunities.

I don't mind random people in the public library seeing me choose a book, but I
might object to someone following me around taking notes of every reading
choice I ever made, especially if there was no way to know if it was happening.

I don't see how HTTPS will prevent this or any other exposure of public information already on the IETF site. Unless of course, there are channels of private conversations going on that is not generally publicly available.

I think this will make it more complex for people who may wish to fetch/pull down information using some automated tool, etc.

I suppose this will mean FTPS (or SFTP) will need to be covered as well for ftp.ietf.org, and also TLS for SMTP IETF related mail transactions?

Funny how that kind of statement sounds less paranoid every year that passes.

I finally open "my life" to an iPhone and its cloud synchronization, etc. Still scary, but as you say, less paranoid. Its the "new normal" I suppose to work/converse/play in such openness and integrated sharing.

--
HLS