Re: https at ietf.org

2013-11-06 05:40:16
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Eric Burger
<eburger(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com>wrote:

How does the use of HTTPS restrict who can participate in the IETF? That
is like saying that because we no longer offer Gopher, we have closed off
participation to some (possibly null) set of Internet users.

If we do not encourage the use of our own work, why should anyone else use
it?

Requiring HTTPS, particularly with reasonable cipher suites, might restrict
use of from certain jurisdictions.

Allowing HTTPS, on the other hand, does not. Unfortunately, because of the
nature of HTTP/HTTPS, we cannot perform opportunistic encryption in the
same way as with the mail and XMPP services we use.

On Nov 5, 2013, at 10:41 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com