Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

2013-11-19 13:18:28
I'd echo what Jonne and Andrew said, and also wanted to add a few things. And
yes, the web site situation is as silly as it can be. It will get sorted out or
somebody else has to step in and do it. But lets not volunteer to do that
unless it is really necessary. We have other work to do.

Anyway, the point that I made at the igovupdate BOF and keep making is that for
various reasons (upcoming meetings, surveillance revelations, ever growing
importance of the Internet) there is far more highlight on Internet governance
topics than we've seen before. And the probability of changes is higher, be it
for good or bad. Obviously we at the IETF are primarily focused on our task -
the technology. But at the same time, some of us may also want to pay attention
to these discussions, because they can affect us and affect the Internet and
its value to all of us. And I think many others around the Internet ecosystem
feel similarly.

Hence, the desire to create a place where we could discuss these things
together. I think the intent of 1net is to be such a place. But at this point,
even if the web site and mailing list gets sorted out, it will still be very
bare - just a discussion place. There's very little structure, process, vision,
proposals. And that is in part a good thing - I don't think we would take it
positively, if somebody specified to all of us which direction Internet
governance should take now :-)

However, while the site is coming up, it would be useful to think about the
kinds of things that could be usefully discussed. There are obviously many
specific issues which belong to already existing organisations. Such as
protocol parameter registry topic being an IETF/IAB matter, TLD assignments an
ICANN matter, etc. There's little reason to create new places to discuss such
topics. On the other hand, it would probably be good to have a place to discuss
the overall situation, relate work in different organisations to each other,
build more co-operation, etc. What are your thoughts on this? What topics do
you think need additional attention?

I'd also like to make a plug for something that Lynn and Leslie wrote - a
framework of issues in Internet governance:
http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/Internet%20Society%20Collaborative%20Stewardship%20Framework.pdf

Jari