Re: Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

2013-11-19 13:31:40
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 20/11/2013 06:13, SM wrote:
  As mentioned above, there has been many announcements,
meetings, etc. about Internet governance and most of them were motivated
by well-meaning people.  I am not aware of any positive outcome out of
any of the efforts.

I'm not sure, given the origins and history of WSIS/WSIG (including the
WSIS session in Tunisia supported by the previous Tunisian regime), about
"most" being well-meaning. But never mind. I think there has actually been
one positive outcome of all the IGF blah-blah: a continued absence of
international treaties and regulations interfering with Internet technology
and deployment. Interference has occurred only on a national basis. What
we need is for this international non-interference to continue, even
post-Snowdenia.

Multi-stakeholder meetings, if they serve to prolong the non-interference,
may be a price we have to pay. It's particularly important to underline
that the response to pervasive surveillance should be better security
and privacy technology, not regulation or national solutions.

Well apart from the SCO treaty between Russia, China and the rest.

The problem with the current situation is that it is not stable. The
governments have a necessary interest in protecting access to the net. If
that need is not met they are going to find a way to smash the whole
governance system up to get what they need. And once it is smashed they are
going to take what they want as well.

There are two problems in the current standards process, both to do with
lack of stakeholder recognition. There is by design no recognition of any
government interest other than the US government interest as seen by the
departments of Commerce and "Defense". I don't think that denying
governments the ability to protect their legitimate and necessary interest
of protecting their access to the Internet serves the interest of
preventing those governments from pursing an illegitimate interest in
political censorship.

And no, given the recent attempts of the Italian government to block access
to opposition news and the idiotic antics of Cameron et. al., I don't think
censorship is a problem limited to tinpot dictatorships.

There is no recognition of necessary stakeholder interests either. Which is
the principal reason for the failure of IPv6 deployment thus far: there is
no representation of the ISP stakeholders whose participation is required
for deployment.

Note here that 'representation' is distinct from 'the option to participate
as individuals but not speaking for anyone but themselves'.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/