Re: Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

2013-11-19 13:09:17
On 20/11/2013 06:13, SM wrote:
  As mentioned above, there has been many announcements,
meetings, etc. about Internet governance and most of them were motivated
by well-meaning people.  I am not aware of any positive outcome out of
any of the efforts.

I'm not sure, given the origins and history of WSIS/WSIG (including the
WSIS session in Tunisia supported by the previous Tunisian regime), about
"most" being well-meaning. But never mind. I think there has actually been
one positive outcome of all the IGF blah-blah: a continued absence of
international treaties and regulations interfering with Internet technology
and deployment. Interference has occurred only on a national basis. What
we need is for this international non-interference to continue, even
post-Snowdenia.

Multi-stakeholder meetings, if they serve to prolong the non-interference,
may be a price we have to pay. It's particularly important to underline
that the response to pervasive surveillance should be better security
and privacy technology, not regulation or national solutions.

    Brian