Re: Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

2013-11-19 19:00:05
Brian,

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:08 AM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 20/11/2013 06:13, SM wrote:
 As mentioned above, there has been many announcements,
meetings, etc. about Internet governance and most of them were motivated
by well-meaning people.  I am not aware of any positive outcome out of
any of the efforts.

I'm not sure, given the origins and history of WSIS/WSIG (including the
WSIS session in Tunisia supported by the previous Tunisian regime), about
"most" being well-meaning. But never mind. I think there has actually been
one positive outcome of all the IGF blah-blah: a continued absence of
international treaties and regulations interfering with Internet technology
and deployment. Interference has occurred only on a national basis. What
we need is for this international non-interference to continue, even
post-Snowdenia.

Multi-stakeholder meetings, if they serve to prolong the non-interference,
may be a price we have to pay. It's particularly important to underline
that the response to pervasive surveillance should be better security
and privacy technology, not regulation or national solutions.

I agree.  It seems to me that since governments are the ones doing pervasive
surveillance, it is unlikely that government based solutions are likely to fix
the problem, more likely the opposite.

Bob