Re: [rtcweb] Alternative decision process in RTCWeb

2013-12-03 18:22:19
On 12/3/2013 9:50 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Dec 3, 2013, at 7:46 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
And twenty years later the market still hasn't decided between S/MIME and PGP.
Or maybe it has decided none of the above.

S/MIME has wide implementation, but little deployment.   PGP has little implementation
and little deployment.   I think the what the market has said is "we don't really
care about this."

I never got it to work well and if I did, it didn't offer anything of incredible value. Its also gives one the Cry Wolf syndrome -- what if that one time it failed, what does it mean? Do you accept it? It is real? and so on.

Just consider DKIM itself.  I don't get the IETF here.

It just KILLED the #1 one protection layer for it - ADSP (making it historic, but to what?), that helped receivers with deterministic security guidance its long hard debated security considerations wanted to help protect domain owners and its (mail reading) users! Abandoned, in my strong business/engineering opinion, for no other reason but due to its competition with the trust/reputation framework entities. I didn't get it because everyone can have a piece of the cake and eat it too!

Go figure.

The problem with RTCWEB, WebRTC, WebSockets (we need a dummies guide for this now), is that it is still a moving target. We can use this technology in the BBS world (Application server/Intranet market) to help bring back a "terminal" A.K.A. now with the "Browser," full duplex communications back to backend servers.

We been looking at this (intelligent any device frontends) since the early 2000, but its all been moving too fast. RTCWEB/WebRTC/WebSockets (which is it?) looks promising to help with single sourcing this type of product lines. I hope the IETF can help manage, lead and mature the technology with all the principle vendors and still do it with cooperative competition, public domain, and no conflict of interest in mind.

--
HLS