Re: Suggested changes to draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-04

2013-12-15 18:57:43
Hello,

Here is the list of suggested changes to draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-04:

The following paragraph could be added to the Abstract:

   This document provides an updated version of the guidelines for conduct
   originally published in RFC 3184.

At the end of the Introduction section:

  This document obsoletes RFC 3184 [RFC3184] and reclassifies it as Historic.

Section 2, Point 3 could be as follows:

   3. IETF participants devise solutions for the Internet that meet the
      needs of diverse technical and operational environments.

      The IETF puts its emphasis on technical competence, rough consensus
      and individual participation, and needs to be open to competent input
      from any source.  We understand that "scaling is the ultimate problem"
      and that many ideas quite workable in the small fail this crucial test.

      IETF participants use their best engineering judgment to find the
      best solution for the whole Internet, not just the best solution
      for any particular network, technology, vendor, or user.  While we
      all have ideas that may stand improvement from time to time, no
      one shall ever knowingly contribute advice or text that would make
      a standard technically inferior.

There is a change to the first sentence in the second paragraph (in Point 3). I'll comment on Dave Crocker's suggestion (see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg84978.html ). The "as we build consensus in person and through email discussions" leaves it to the reader to think about building consensus. Please note that I agree with what Dave wrote about "unanimity". The proposed text mentions that the IETF puts emphasis on "rough consensus".

In Section 2, Point 4:

  IETF participants read the relevant Internet-Drafts, RFCs, and
  email archives in order to familiarize themselves with the
  technology under discussion.   Working Group sessions run on a
  very limited time schedule, and sometimes participants have to
  limit their questions.  The work of the group will continue on
  the mailing list, and questions can be asked and answered on the
  mailing list.  It can be a challenge to participate in a
  working group without knowing the history of longstanding working
  group debates.  Information about a working group including its
  charter and milestones is available on the IETF Tools web site
  [TOOLS] or from the working group chair.

I removed "beforehand" and changed "when attending" to "to participate" to cover any IETF activity.

In Appendix C:

   o  The text about "think globally" was removed as the meaning was
      not clear.

   o  Added text about the IETF striving to create an environment in
      which every person is treated with dignity, decency, and respect.

   o  The text about the goal of the IETF was replaced with text about
      what the IETF puts its emphasis on.