Re: Suggested changes to draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-04

2013-12-16 01:04:34
I like all the proposed changes, a few other comments below.

On 12/15/13, 18:09 , S Moonesamy wrote:
Hello,

Here is the list of suggested changes to
draft-moonesamy-ietf-conduct-3184bis-04:

The following paragraph could be added to the Abstract:

    This document provides an updated version of the guidelines for conduct
    originally published in RFC 3184.

At the end of the Introduction section:

   This document obsoletes RFC 3184 [RFC3184] and reclassifies it as
Historic.

This is probably only a meta-data issue handled by the RFC-Editor, but as this obsoletes RFC 3184, which is also BCP 57, this document becomes BCP 57, which I believe is the intended result. I mostly just want to confirm this, I'm not sure it needs to be mentioned in the text itself.

There is a change to the first sentence in the second paragraph (in
Point 3).  I'll comment on Dave Crocker's suggestion (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg84978.html ).  The
"as we build consensus in person and through email discussions" leaves
it to the reader to think about building consensus.  Please note that I
agree with what Dave wrote about "unanimity".  The proposed text
mentions that the IETF puts emphasis on "rough consensus".

I like the way you are handling Dave Crocker's "unanimity" suggestion, and how you emphases the need to build consensus, while still making it clear we don't require unanimity.

I replaced "All IETF participants" with "We".

Thank you, I think that makes it read a little cleaner. I also like how this puts a little more emphasis on the fact that "we AIM to abide by these guidelines", subtly acknowledging the imperfections of us all.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

Thanks

David Farmer               Email: farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE     Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029  Cell: 1-612-812-9952