Re: Multi-homed BCP38

2014-01-09 13:21:19
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:
right, my assumption is that some marketting/pr/customer-service
person would actually tell the customers a form of: "Hey, do you like
reliability? we do to... we also like cleaner internets, we're going
to filter outbound traffic from you for the sources we should  see
from you, currently that's: A/24 and B/24... if we should add more,
speak up by <60days from now>"

The ISP says the customer responds "if you're not willing to handle
our 20 gigabit account, we're sure we can find someone else who can."

Also, if you'll review the messages to which you're responding, you'll
note that the customer is often an ISP with customers of its own so
there are far too many ranges to handle manually.

yup, as I said, for the case of ISP to ISP (at a point) it's pretty
hard to keep the filtering proper/reliable, so I'd pass on most of
that.

for static customers though, it's pretty simple and for them and their
isp to sort this out.

-chris