Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard

2014-01-13 09:52:27
Lars, are you really asking that the document say:
1) That the UDP encapsulation of MPLS can only be used when the devices
performing the encapsulation and decapsulation know what protocol (above
IP, if IP is being carried; above Ethernet and IP if the frame is
Ethernet carrying IP) is being used
2) That those devices need to engage in a congestion control protocol if
the carried packets are not TCP, SCTP, or DCCP?

Those both look like excessive and difficult requirements.  Which is
fine if our goal is to pretend we are telling folks not to use UDP
encapsulation of MPLS.  (I had not thought that was our goal.)

In practice, I simply do not see how anyone implementing this will pay
any attention to either requirement.

Yours,
Joel