Re: Problem with new Note Well

2014-01-23 16:31:25

On Jan 23, 2014, at 11:25 AM, Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qti(_dot_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 1/23/14 12:07 PM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
Pete,  what do you think "Acknowledge" means on a from like this? ( I will
note it does not say "I Acknowledge I read this but may not agree with it" )

You are acknowledging that there are rules (not fully specified here) that
you have to go read and abide by if you show up and participate at the
meeting. When you show up and participate at the meeting, you are agreeing to
a bunch of things that are not on this page.

Are you saying that you don't agree that there are exceptions to what's on
this page?

Pete, I am saying that this page is likely to be used to undermine the
credibility of IETF participants in patent trials. That is a bad thing.

We both agree the BCPs do NOT say

    If you are aware that any contribution (something written, said, or
discussed in any IETF context) is covered by patents or patent applications,
you must disclose that fact.

So I do not think it is OK for the IESG to be making me click "Acknowledge" to
a page that contains the above sentence. I have no problem with acknowledging I
am bound by the rules BCP 79.