Re: Revision to Note Well

2014-02-06 14:53:22
Speaking as me, not as AD (except insofar as some of this makes my life as an AD a pain).

I still*much*  prefer the old version.

Let's first separate what goes on the web site (and importantly, the registration page) from what gets put on a slide in the room. I have no quarrel with legalese appearing on the registration page; it's not particularly useful to the participants, but it's legal rear-end-covering, for whatever that's worth. It's really between you and your corporate attorney what to make of it.

But the old (currently posted) version on a slide in the room is, pragmatically speaking, content-free and useless to the IETF and to the participants. It gives no notice whatsoever that what is contained in the referenced documents has anything to do with intellectual property. And really, we know that almost nobody reads the Note Well in the room, and we have ample evidence (in the form of late disclosures and bogus disclosures) that many people don't know what it means. Unlike on the registration page, the point of making the statement in the room is to avoid late surprises for the WG in their work.

So, I really do not find the current Note Well useful on a slide in the room at all.

But I do see a point in having the chair say (or display) in the room, "Just in case you didn't actually read what is posted on the web page[1] that you acknowledged when you registered, please note: You've got IPR disclosure responsibilities if you participate in this discussion at all (including writing, speaking, singing or otherwise). If you or your employer has IPR on this stuff, get with it!"

If we're not going to have simple text available in the room, let's at least stop with the charade that posting the Note Well is meaningful, and the chairs and shepherds and the IESG will simply have to continue to deal with the regular stream of late disclosures.

pr

[1] "...just like you ignore every other EULA that you click through on the Interwebs..."

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478