RE: Ad hominems

2014-02-25 14:23:25
There was nothing tutorial, parental or authoritative in the note
making the suggestion.

because there wasn't a MUST or a SHOULD in it?

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood
From: ietf [ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave Crocker
[dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: 25 February 2014 19:39
To: stbryant(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com; Barry Leiba; Noel Chiappa
Cc: IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: Ad hominems

On 2/25/2014 11:23 AM, Stewart Bryant wrote:
"I suggest in London that you assign only maximum 10 minutes
present per WG draft and maximum 5 minute for individual draft
(as limit policy). We need to use more input and have more face2face
(F2F) discussion in our meeting. I remember we discussed this before
...."

Although that text started with the word "suggestion", the
text construction is that of an instruction.

Instruction?  Huh?  That characterization warrants careful explanation.
  Please provide it.

The note 1) made a suggestion, and 2) Stated a need.  It implied that
implementing the change would remedy the need.

What part of that qualifies as "instruction" rather than, for example,
explanation?

There was nothing tutorial, parental or authoritative in the note making
the suggestion.  Everything focusing on background and presence or lack
of expertise was introduced by others, in response.  Hence, ad hominem.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking